Friday, November 12, 2010

Killer projects: Door to Trumeau mirror

This has got to be one of the coolest projects in blogland ever:

Suzanne over at "Meridian Road" took an old door and turned it into a classy antique Trumeau mirror. Check out her tutorial here:
[Before]


[After]



Trumeau mirrors were all the rage in 18th century France and generally hung between two windows to bring in more light into dark rooms. They are usually rectangular with the mirror at the bottom and a highly decorated ornate top with friezes and other ornamentation.

Low price trumeaus usually sell for about $500 - $900, the next price group ranges in the $2,000 - $4,000 range and can go as high as $20,000 for a rare antique in excellent condition.

Here's a neat one I discovered on Etsy in Dakotas Vintage store and it's a steal at $75!

[picture Dakotas Vintage]

And here's another one found at Ruby Lane - Caroline's Collectibles for just $150 - love the very French garland ornament at the top


[Found at Ruby Lane]

Now all I need is my own house with an entry hall to house such a delectable piece. Or maybe it could go into the bedroom ... ? I might just go hunting for a door once this stupid cold wears off.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for featuring my project! The information about trumeau mirrors was interesting. I didn't know they were usually hung between two windows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your suggestion on my girls's bed! I think i for SURE will do some finials :)
    Shelley Smith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanne and Shelley - You're very welcome! I can't wait to see what other projects you will come up with in the future. Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete