Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Flexing some mussels

Since I haven't really done much else than SPSPP (aka "scrape, patch, sand, prime and paint") baseboards and door molding and I don't want to bore you to death with yet another episode of "How much trim is there in this house?!", I thought I'd toss in a recipe. You know, for versatility and diversity and all.

During a recent cold spell, the husband and I felt a bit peckish for a delicious dish, solely reserved for the colder months of the year: Mussels!

I love love love love eating a heart bowl of mussels on a cold day, not to mention it's a dish that reminds me of home. It's a comfort food of a sort. And since it's one of my favorite dishes, I thought I'd share it here.


Mussels Rhineland Style

Take your biggest pot and add

- 1 stick of butter
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced (or sliced)
- 1 big onion, cut into chunks
- 1 whole celery, cut into chunks
- 1/2 gallon of chicken broth or 1/2 of water and chicken bouillon

Bring to a boil, then allow to simmer for 30 minutes.

Wash your mussels several times in cold water: fill your sink with cold water and let your mussels soak. Empty sink, refill. Discard any broken and open ones.
The husband and I bought 4 pounds (2 nets) which made for a great dinner. If you aren't quite as voracious, you could easily use just one net or 2 pounds.

Taste your vegetable broth to check if the vegetables have infused the broth with flavor. Add the mussels and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.

Grind some fresh black pepper on top. Done!

Serve with some dark bread (pumpernickel if you like that stuff - I don't since it has caraway seeds and/or flavoring) and butter, or do it like the Belgians and add French Fries.

So so SO good!!


P.S.:
My mom says you can freeze the broth with the mussels after you pick them out of their shells. I have never tried that, mainly because there are never any left *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment