Friday, December 16, 2011

Visions of sugar-plums ...

't was the night before Christmas,

when all through the house

Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.

The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,

In hopes that St Nicholas soon would be there.


The children were nestled all snug in their beds,

While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads.

And mamma in her ‘kerchief, and I in my cap,

Had just settled our brains for a long winter’s nap...

It's not quite the night before Christmas yet but I had all kinds of visions dancing in my head when I discovered humongous plums at the local farmers market. That's where I love to shop for our produce - the Farmers Market on Beaver Street - and draw inspiration for our daily meals.

Anyways, plums!
Big, juicy, sweet plums!

They came home with me (along with a metric ton of other produce; we love our veggies and fruit from the farmers market). I'd baked two batches of Pioneer Woman cinnamon rolls (Best recipe ever - find it here) for a Christmas gathering on Saturday and had a small bowl of delicious dough left. Perfect for a German treat called "Prume taat" or in english, "plum tarte". Surprisingly similar, hm?

Anyways, here're my plums all cut up into nice and fairly even slivers. I buttered the cookie sheet and rolled the dough onto it, then dusted the top with flour. It'll bind the juices from your plums once they start cooking and keep your tarte from getting all soggy.





Arrange your plum slivers and drizzle some molten butter over the top. Then sprinkle deliberately with sugar and cinnamon. Can't go wrong with sugar, butter and cinnamon. Ever.











Then it's into the oven for about 20 minutes at approximately 390F. Enjoy the aroma filling your kitchen.




Let it cool off ever so lighly and serve with whipped cream (or without).



Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment