Thursday, February 21, 2013

Dueling DIY: The Staircase Challenge

It's been a whopping six weeks since Kit from DIY Diva and Sarah from the Ugly Duckling House started the Dueling DIY: The Staircase Challenge.
Six weeks of stripping paint.
Six weeks of talk about stair case parts, color schemes, no-slip solutions, runners, spindles and more. Six week of stairs.

While the staircase at the Little Old House isn't anywhere near being done, I wouldn't have made as much progress over the past six weeks as I did thanks to the staircase throw-down. I also 'met' a few more inspiring DIY ladies online, and enjoy following their blogs.

This past week was a slow week here at the Little Old House. Both Little Man and I were down for the count for most of the long holiday weekend with the sniffles. On top of that we had a serious (ahem ...for Florida, that is) cold spell with temperatures below freezing at night which always triggers my hibernation mode. I wasn't really up to doing more than bundling up on the couch with a good book, making a batch of dark chocolate fudge with a sprinkling of salted sunflower seeds and fixing meals.

Yesterday I felt a bit better and well enough to pay some attention to the staircase. Since I was in dire need of some very obvious and REAL progress I decided to prime the stringers and risers.


Oh yeah, baby! Don't mind the dusty treads and ignore that the primer isn't a solid coat of paint but look at the neat crisp white trim and risers. YUM!

I couldn't wait and also primed the newel post at the top of the stairs. Double YUM!

Am I done?
Nope.
Far from it.
There are 20 more spindles and a newel post to strip, sand, patch, and prime before they are ready for paint.

Here's a full view of our small cantilevered staircase balcony - it's all that remains of the original staircase (aside from the original trim encased in the new drywall on the lower part of the stairs).

 
It's a cute little spot, and although I still have to figure out what exactly I want to do with it (reading nook, gallery wall, ...? Buehler?) I love how bright and airy a spot it is.

That's all the progress I have to show for last week, folks; check out how the other duelists are doing and visit

No comments:

Post a Comment