Thursday, July 28, 2011

Master Bathroom - the story begins

With the wooshing sound of a deadline fast approaching, these DIY newbies have been busting their behinds to whip up a master bathroom in what is generally considered "no time" aka four weeks.

Yeah, you read that right. An entire bathroom in four weeks.

Well, make that four weekends since both of us work for a living since nobody is paying me for spraypainting or spending time on pinterest just yet. Working on DIY projects every single day of the week has surprisingly lost its novelty. Considering the miles of trim I wanted to have painted by and that still needs painting, I feel so overwhelmed that I need to take a break before even getting started. It also doesn't help that by now we have thoroughly learned the lesson that nothing gets ever done in as little time as you 'think' it'll take. Nuh-uh, it'll take at least twice the amount of time you alloted and four times the amount of time you ever wished to spend on this project.

Enough whining - whining and no pictures make this a very un-fun post but I'm working on the picture part so bear with me for now. You see, my husband gifted me a sweet new camera for my birthday and I just need some time to install the software to download the pictures I took of the master bath in progress, the vanity in progress and the anti-smudgey-handprint protection project in progress.

Three weeks ago husband and I trekked over to the boxstore and came back with the foundation for our tile floor:

- Hardy Backerboard
- Ultraflex Thinset
- Cement board screws
- Seam tape
- a notched trowel
- and most importantly soft-cushiony knee pads.

We'd interrogated our lovely contractors while they were still working on our Duckling house on how to best approach the flooring in our master bath upstairs and so we kind of knew what we were supposed to do. I found this nifty drawing that really boils it down to the essentials.

Wooden houses and their plywood sublfoors tend to be a bit on the flexible side of things which generally doesn't mesh so well with something as rigid as tile floors. We used Ultraflex Thinset for both cememnt backerboard and tile to add an additional flexible component to help ease the transition from flexible subfloor to rigid tile.

One entire Sunday was spent - on our knees, well, mostly the husband on his - buttering our plywood subfloor with thinset, laying backerboard and screwing the backerboards in with backerboard screws [And as soon as I figure out how to get my pictures off of my new camera, I can show you what it looks like] making sure to stay nicely even and level. After mudding and taping the seams between the individual boards (and drying), our floor was ready for tile!

We were rather thrilled how easy the hardi backerboard was to work with. It comes with a handy-dandy incised grid that makes cutting so easy and circular notches to help you get the spacing for your screws right that we think it might have been produced with the unsuspecting DIYer in mind :o) It certainly worked for us!

Next step: Tile!

No comments:

Post a Comment